This course is also being run on Wednesday, 11 July 2018 at Abingdon School with Mick Bradshaw as part of our annual Summer Conference. Follow this link to book this additional date online.
This seminar is aimed at Educational Visit Coordinators, or other teachers with a significant part of that role (Directors of Sport, Heads of Outdoor Education).
The focus will principally be upon potentially hazardous activities, such as sports fixtures and tours, ski trips, outdoor education and cultural visits overseas. It will look at the special responsibilities incurred by residential trips.
The course is based on the National Guidance produced by the Outdoor Education Advisers’ Panel. Adopting National Guidance removes the need for each employer or establishment to write and maintain their own comprehensive guidance and gives users easy access to regularly updated and nationally recognised guidance. The content of this guidance is in line with advice from the Health and Safety Executive. It is also endorsed by the National Association of Head Teachers.
- The role and responsibilities of the EVC and Visit Leader
- Consideration of resources (HSE, AALA, OEAP)
- Sports and cultural tours - hosting arrangements
- Legal perspectives
- Resources and information for the EVC to provide Visit Leader training
- Risk benefit analysis and management
- Awareness of recent incidents
- Preparing for Inspection
- School policy documentation
- Transport issues and minibuses
- Outdoor expeditions
- Contracting to Third Parties
- Staff to Pupil Ratios
- Emergency Procedures
- Assessing competency of leaders and assistants