This course is also being run on Thursday, 12 July 2018 at Abingdon School as part of our annual Summer Conference. Follow this link to book this additional date online.
This is a long running and popular seminar, which is intended for recently appointed Directors of Sport, and those who intend to apply for these roles in the near future. It has recently been entirely updated to reflect changes in the landscape of school sport, and the challenges facing Directors of Sport across the sector. It also addresses what schools are looking for from their appointments – both at interview and in post. The course seeks to clarify the success criteria of the role, and illustrate how a leadership approach enables the Director of Sport to achieve more. Through consideration of the issues surrounding independent school sport, it encourages individuals to be clear about what they believe, and what they can offer to a school. It also suggests how candidates for jobs can strengthen their applications.
- What is a Director of Sport?
- Becoming a leader
- Leadership, management and administration
- Establishing aims and goals
- Building structures and systems
- Satisfying parental expectations
- Dealing with difficult colleagues
- Creating the games programme
- Participation v performance
- Choice v compulsion
- Quality and equality
- Working with head and bursar
- How to avoid a nervous breakdown