Dates & Venues
In association with
This course is aimed at teachers who are new to coaching and umpiring hockey, or who have not been involved in the school game for a few years. It gives an overview of modern coaching techniques to develop individual players, as well as tactical considerations for team play. Ten conditioned, training games are introduced, along with guidance on structuring school sessions for both the 7 and 11 a-side versions of the game.
Umpiring content is aimed at making teachers confident to officiate in school games, typically at lower age and ability levels. The course includes everything for the novice coach to make a positive contribution to school Hockey.
- Basic practices for core skills
- Developing the key technical skills for inexperienced hockey players
- Conditioned Games to enhance tactical understanding
- Develop the principles of the Self Pass
- Formations and Set Pieces for the 7 aside and 11 aside format of the game
- 5 structured session plans
- An overview of all significant rules
- The differences between umpiring 7 aside and 11 aside format of the game
- Playing advantage in junior Hockey
- Communicating with players and spectators
Face to face course price:
1 place £189
2 places £319
4 places £499
Webinar Course Price:
Individual: £60 School Subscription (up to 5 devices) £120
Face to Face Course runs 10am – 3.30pm. Prices include refreshments, lunch and resources. Webinar Course runs 7pm - 9pm on Zoom. A recording of the webinar will be availble to view for 7 days after. Prices exclude VAT
Matt Taylor is the current Head Coach of Nottingham University, who won the BUCS Gold Medal in 2015. He was previously Head Coach of Beeston HC in the Men’s Premier League, winning three Championships between 2010 and 2014. Prior to that, he was coach of the Cannock Ladies’ side, winning promotion to the Premier League in 1009. He is a former England international, and won several Premier League titles with Cannock HC.