Dates & Venues
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, we do not have any courses scheduled. We will be releasing dates as soon as regulations change.
In association with
This is a course for teachers who are new to teaching and umpiring school Hockey. It provides an overview of coaching techniques for individual player development, as well as tactical considerations for team play. The game has changed significantly in recent years, with new skills and strategies to accommodate rule changes. These will be carefully introduced and explained to ensure that novice coaches are confident that their session content is contemporary and stimulating. Basic rules and approaches to umpiring the game in school - at a range of abilities and ages - will be presented to equip teachers with the ability to officiate school matches.
- Introducing and developing core skills
- Pushing, slapping and hitting
- Individual and team defence
- 20 fun based training drills
- Developing set piece skills: Long Corner and Self Pass
- Basic penalty corner strategies
- Small-sided games for skill development
- Playing formations
- An overview of all major Rules
- Creating and applying advantage
- Communication: whistle, signal and voice
- Umpiring the self pass
- New rules at the Long Corner
- Understanding the Penalty Corner
1 place £189 2 places £315 4 places £499
Course runs 10.00am – 3.30pm. Price includes lunch, refreshments and notes. Excludes VAT.
Matt Taylor is the current Head Coach of Nottingham University, who won the BUCS Gold Medal in 2015. He was previously Head Coach of Beeston HC in the Men’s Premier League, winning three Championships between 2010 and 2014. Prior to that, he was coach of the Cannock Ladies’ side, winning promotion to the Premier League in 1009. He is a former England international, and won several Premier League titles with Cannock HC.